Saturday, September 8, 2012

A man like me


"The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit."
James 5:16-18 ESV

Something that God has been bringing to mind over the past few months is the idea that He tends to use ordinary people to accomplish His goals. Elijah was a man just like me. Elijah ate, slept and drank. (Hey, I can do that!) But he also called down fire and took a ride on a fiery chariot. (Still working on that part.)
When struggling with insecurity I try to bring this passage to mind. I find strength not in my courage but in God's power. I mean he even used Elisha after he had died(2 Kings 13:21). If God can use a dead person to do miraculous things, I might still have a chance.
This passage is also a reminder to check my prayer life. Elijah's prayers affected a whole nation. Often my prayers don't go beyond my own needs and desires. I need to get better at praying for others. Also, praying with expectation of God and His power to answer those prayers.
I wonder if He is just waiting on me to move and to pray.

No comments: