Sunday, September 9, 2012

dream team

The Dream Team (1992 USA Olympic basketball team documentary) from Arwind Gajadien on Vimeo.

I saw this video the other day and it took me back to my childhood. I remember my friends and I pretending to be our favorite players and reenacting plays and creating great new ones. We had an adjustable rim so we could lower the hoop and dunk like the big boys. Our hoop was also located at the bottom of slanted driveway and the flat part of the alley, so sometimes there were some foot adjustments that needed to be made to stay balanced. There always seemed to be ten seconds left. ten, nine, eight... I was ten years old. My favorite player was number 33. Scottie Pippen from the Chicago Bulls. Everyone else loved Jordan but I was always a Pippen fan. Maybe it's my love of the underdog. But you know what they say, "Defense wins championships." and Scottie was one of the best. He was also gifted at using the glass which always intrigued me. I think that might be related to my nerdiness and the geometry involved. Sometimes memories are sweeter that what really happened in life. I got a dose of that watching this documentary. Seeing the arrogance that these guys had was hazy to my ten year old self who just say the amazing basketball moves. Maybe that is one of the joys of childhood.

No comments: